List:       veritas-ha
Subject:    RE: [Veritas-ha] VCS design question
From:       "Jim Senicka" <jsenicka () veritas ! com>
Date:       2005-05-10 1:27:45

well said.

-----Original Message-----
From: veritas-ha-admin@mailman.eng.auburn.edu
[mailto:veritas-ha-admin@mailman.eng.auburn.edu] On Behalf Of Cronin,
John S
Sent: Monday, May 09, 2005 4:33 PM
To: Brown, Rodrick; veritas-ha@mailman.eng.auburn.edu

I am not 100% sure, but I think what you are asking is should you use
one 4-node cluster or two 2-node clusters?

I often run into resistance about using a cluster with more than
2-nodes, but I like using larger clusters where they make sense, and
they often do.

The first thing I would note is that if you need a minimum of 1 node
from App-A and one node from App-B available, a likely configuration is
the N+1 cluster, which in this case indicates a 3 node cluster (2 apps
plus a spare) as it is unlikely that both App A and App B will fault on
different nodes simultaneously, and if they do, in my experience the
outage will be such that neither will be able to run on the spare node
(eg it will be a failure the cluster can't help you with, such as all of
the network or all of the storage disappearing at once).  Thus you save
the cost of 1 server.

If you do use the same number of servers, eg use a 4-node cluster, you
should be able to have an even higher level of availability than using a
two 2-node clusters, providing you can resist the urge to configure the
service groups such that the four node cluster looks like two 2-node
clusters lashed together, which so many of my customers insist on doing
- they have this mindset of primary and secondary nodes and can't get
past that.

Finally, if you have any dependency between app A and app B (eg app A is
a WebSphere MQ message broker, and app B is the database required by app
A), then the most sane way to do this is have them all in the same
cluster and use service group dependencies.

--
John Cronin
ipager: johncronin