List:       veritas-bu
Subject:    Re: [Veritas-bu] RMAN Backups
From:       ckstehman () pepco ! com
Date:       2007-07-30 12:44:13

--=_alternative 0045F79D85257328_=

We have been running the scripts successfully for the past 5 years.  Is
this Windows or UNIX.?

What error do you get in the script's log file named  start_*..out?  That
will help.
Be sure the script is executable.

Here are some things to check.

The .sh script runs as root on UNIX system.
We modified the sample scripts for our environment in the following ways.
ORACLE_HOME, ORACLE_SID
and ORACLE_USER. and the NB_ORA_SCRIPTS must be set for your environment
 From the .sh script.
echo "`date` ----------------Beginning of Script------------"
echo "Script name: $0"

ORACLE_HOME=/u01/app/oracle/product/10.2
export ORACLE_HOME

ORACLE_SID=scdb
export ORACLE_SID

ORACLE_USER=oracle

NB_ORA_SCRIPTS=/u01/rman
Check the output of the .rcv script to see that you are connecting to the
recovery catalog and the target database correctly.

I can help better if I see the log from the script.

=============================
Carl Stehman
IT Distributed Services Team
Pepco Holdings, Inc.
202-331-6619
Pager 301-765-2703
ckstehman@pepco.com

"Shultz, Perry" <Perry.Shultz@allstate.com>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces@mailman.eng.auburn.edu
07/27/2007 03:28 PM

<veritas-bu@mailman.eng.auburn.edu>
cc

Subject
[Veritas-bu] RMAN Backups

We have been running RMAN backups for several years.  But, our DBAs have
always submitted them outside of NetBackup (manually defining the
environmental variables required, etc.).  RMAN initiates the connection
with NBU and everything functions.  I am doing some testing where I would
like to use their scripts, but initiate them from the NetBackup scheduler
as an Automatic backup.  When I execute their shell script, I get a Status
6 - indicating it could not backup the requested files and showing the
full qualified path to the script in the file list.  There is no evidence
that the script was even submitted.
Any ideas?  We are using NBU 6.0 in a very large installation but have
always used manually, external submission of backups.  So some of the
nuances of scheduling internally are new to us - especially related to the
Oracle RMAN agent.
Thanks,
Perry Shultz _______________________________________________

=============================
[...]

This Email message and any attachment may contain information that is
proprietary, legally privileged, confidential and/or subject to copyright
belonging to Pepco Holdings, Inc. or its affiliates ("PHI").  This Email is
intended solely for the use of the person(s) to which it is addressed.  If
you are not an intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for
delivery of this Email to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this Email is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please immediately
notify the sender and permanently delete this Email and any copies.  PHI
policies expressly prohibit employees from making defamatory or offensive
statements and infringing any copyright or any other legal right by Email
communication.  PHI will not accept any liability in respect of such
communications.

--=_alternative 0045F79D85257328_=

for the past 5 years. &nbsp;Is this Windows or UNIX.?</font>
log file named &nbsp;start_*..out? &nbsp;That will help. </font>
system.</font>
environment in the following ways. &nbsp;ORACLE_HOME, ORACLE_SID</font>
must be set for your environment</font>
of Script------------&quot;</font>
to see that you are connecting to the recovery catalog and the target database
correctly.</font>
the script.</font>
Carl Stehman<br>
IT Distributed Services Team<br>
Pepco Holdings, Inc.<br>
202-331-6619<br>
Pager 301-765-2703<br>
ckstehman@pepco.com</font>
&lt;Perry.Shultz@allstate.com&gt;</b> </font>
veritas-bu-bounces@mailman.eng.auburn.edu</font> <p><font size=1 \
face="sans-serif">07/27/2007 03:28 PM</font> <td width=59%>
years. &nbsp;But, our DBAs have always submitted them outside of NetBackup
(manually defining the environmental variables required, etc.). &nbsp;RMAN
initiates the connection with NBU and everything functions. &nbsp;I am
doing some testing where I would like to use their scripts, but initiate
them from the NetBackup scheduler as an Automatic backup. &nbsp;When I
execute their shell script, I get a Status 6 - indicating it could not
backup the requested files and showing the full qualified path to the script
in the file list. &nbsp;There is no evidence that the script was even \
in a very large installation but have always used manually, external submission
of backups. &nbsp;So some of the nuances of scheduling internally are new
to us - especially related to the Oracle RMAN agent.</font>
Veritas-bu maillist &nbsp;- &nbsp;Veritas-bu@mailman.eng.auburn.edu<br>