List:       velocity-user
Subject:    Failed to initialize an instance of org.apache.velocity.runtime.log.ServletLogChute with the current
From:       Graham Leggett <minfrin () sharp ! fm>
Date:       2010-05-26 22:47:54

Hi all,

I have just discovered that a tomcat hosted web application (a
serlet), into which velocity has been embedded, has suddenly started
failed with the following error message:

Failed to initialize an instance of
org.apache.velocity.runtime.log.ServletLogChute with the current
runtime configuration.

Google has uncovered some hits, most notably \
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1586133/apache-velocity-can-not-initialize  , \
where the following is suggested:

properties.setProperty
		  ("runtime.log.logsystem.class",
		  "org.apache.velocity.runtime.log.NullLogSystem");

This has had no effect, velocity refuses to work.

Is there some method within velocity to completely and utterly disable
logging completely within the code? I have no interest whatsoever in
what velocity is doing internally, I trust it enough to do the right
thing (or at least, up till now it does the right thing). Logging
frameworks on the other hand are a complete nightmare. If you're not
failing because some obscure logging framework used by some obscure
dependency needs some obscure properties file in some obscure location
before it will work, you're failing because some obscure logging
framework used by some obscure dependency is transitively depending on
some obscure javamail implementation that clashes with the real
javamail implementation.

Can anyone recommend what to do to fix this?

Regards,
Graham