List:       userlinux-discuss
Subject:    Re: [Discuss] To the supporters of UserLinux
From:       Alexander Neundorf <neundorf () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-12-21 8:44:45

On Sunday 21 December 2003 07:46, Bruce Perens wrote:
> It's the inevitable fallout of the Slashdot article. Give it a few days
> and it'll trail off.
>
>     Thanks
>     Bruce
>
> Michael Compton wrote:
> > We are starting to pollute the mailing list with crap again.  KDE/Qt
> > vs. Gnome etc etc.

The problem is as soon as new people join the mailing list, there is the
probability that they will ask "why everything except Qt/KDE ?" and the KDE
people won't let false answers stand uncorrected.

> > Please understand that the KDE supporters have a lot invested.  IF
> > UserLinux acomplishes everything it is setting out to do, it will
> > limit the growth of KDE, and this bothers some of its supporters many
> > of whom have alot of time and energy invested.
> >
> > By understanding this you will realize that there are many that no
> > matter what we say in defense of our position, they will not be
> > happy.

I can't understand how you can say such things.
"if... then we will limit the growth of KDE .... whom have alot of time and
energy invested" and then say that's ok, just ignore them.
You basically tell them "Hey, what you folks were doing the last years is the
wrong way and absolutely useless for linux in professional use cases. But
don't be sad, you can continue playing with Qt stuff but we will continue to
do the real work".
(Ok, this might be slightly exaggerated but it's more or less what your email
suggests)

Is this what once was the "linux community" ?

Bye
Alex
--
Work: alexander.neundorf@jenoptik.com - http://www.jenoptik-los.de