List:       userlinux-discuss
Subject:    Re: [Discuss] ISV's and Licensing
From:       Peter Vandenabeele <peter.vandenabeele () mind ! be>
Date:       2003-12-12 16:15:12

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 11:15:49PM -0800, Bruce Perens wrote:
> Mark W. Alexander wrote:
>
> >Pick a default and make it the default. That's fine. But don't deny
> >customers their ability to choose, and don't deny service providers the
> >ability to change the default if the alternative better suits the
> >customer's need. That only leaves them the choice to not be a customer.
> >

> OK. I fear I am repeating myself a lot, but service providers are free
> to support Qt and provide it with their flavor of UserLinux, and I am
> not proposing to remove Qt from Debian or make it the slightest bit
> difficult to install from there.
>
> So, I don't see where we disagree.

Am I naive to answer this question ?

If it turns out that the majority of Enterprise applications will be
KDE/Qt based (like has been repeated over an over here), it would be
more logical to select KDE as the default DE.

Otherwise UL ships with a default GNOME DE and first thing most users
will have to do is change that to KDE. Seems silly to me and it could
quickly lead to a derived version that will have KDE as default DE.

Peter