List:       userlinux-discuss
Subject:    Re: [Discuss] ISV's and Licensing
From:       rahul <rahulsundaram () yahoo ! co ! in>
Date:       2003-12-12 15:15:35

Hi

>SDK should be LGPL'ed and ISO-9000xx certified, so it will gain
>acceptance in business.
>
>And base your next-gen DESKTOP on this new Standard-SDK.
>Let people make it multi-platform.

Are you sure you have an idea about the amount of work you will have to
do to make this possible.

>Motivation is this:
>==================
>X-Windows system won't last for ever. It should be replaced in the next
>3 years. Thou it need to support existing X-applications somehow longer.

So?. GTK and QT can support the new platform whatever it is.

>Whole human-machine GUI (desktop, windows and forms) need to be
>re-thinked or extended.
>
>In 2005 most computers will have accelerated graphic cards as standard.
>And we are talking about 3 - 5GHZ CPU power. This power can be utilized
>by this new Standard-SKD and 3D-desktop.

No.3D desktop does not automatically come into the picture just because
we have the resources.

>- The first version of SDK will be wrapped to X and Xt libraries under X
>windows manager (as QT and GTK are today).
>
>- Next gen SDK will deprecate X and move to it's own manager.
>  The X is out.

You are wrong. X is a very flexible protocol. The implementation XFREE86
can be improved and efforts are being taken.
Think about driver support when planning to chuck out X.

>- SDK widgets need to be 3D aware.

- DESKTOP need to be 3D based as well.

No.