List:       userlinux-discuss
Subject:    Re: [Discuss] More on Opengroupware
From:       Bruce Perens <bruce () perens ! com>
Date:       2003-12-12 9:29:40

Peter Vandenabeele wrote:

>  "if you want to USE a MySQL server, e.g. over a tcp/ip socket,
>   then the application that uses the MySQL server needs to be GPL ?

Copyright law does not include a definition of derivative works in
software. Which is why nobody but a judge who is trying a case about
your question can give you a sure answer. And then you would have to ask
the appeals courts to make sure. But I find it difficult to believe that
two programs that communicate via a server-client network connection
would be considered derivative works of each other.

So, MySQL FUDs the GPL about this issue. That's widely known. But they
make GPL client libraries, too, so that they can hook the user without
the server-client issue.

    Thanks

    Bruce