List:       userlinux-discuss
Subject:    Re: [Discuss] More on Opengroupware
From:       Peter Vandenabeele <peter.vandenabeele () mind ! be>
Date:       2003-12-12 9:04:13

On Sat, Dec 13, 2003 at 12:38:03AM +0530, rahul wrote:
> >MySQL is in the exact same boat as QT.  It is dual-licensed.  It is only GPL
> >if you use it for GPL, but for commercial software it requires a fee.
>
> Yes. If you want to use mysql but dont want to distribute your source
> you have to pay for what you use. It doesnt mean that it isnt free.

For my understanding, I ask some clarification.

* For the Qt _library_ I understand the situation:

  "if you want to LINK with Qt it has to GPL or else ... you need
   to buy a commercial license to the Qt library"

* For MySQL _server_application_, I do not clearly understand the situation:

  "if you want to USE a MySQL server, e.g. over a tcp/ip socket,
   then the application that uses the MySQL server needs to be GPL ?

   Is "using" a MySQL server (i.e. sending a SELECT request to
   the server and receiving a list of table entries in return),
   considered the "whole work" as defined in GPL ?

* specifically, I do not understand the definition of "include" in
  this sentence copied from the MySQL website:

From: http://www.mysql.com/products/licensing.html

> 3. Commercial use for everyone else
> More specifically:
>
> a) If you include the MySQL server in your non-GPL licensed application
            ^^^^^^^
> you need a commercial licence for the MySQL server.

* how does this much exactly with the sentence from the GPL:

From: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html
> Section 2:
> These requirements apply to the modified work as a whole ...

Thanks for helping me understand this.

Peter