List:       user-mode-linux-user
Subject:    Re: [uml-user] booting problem with home-compiled uml kernel
From:       David Coulson <david () davidcoulson ! net>
Date:       2002-04-18 16:39:26

Zou Min wrote:
> Anyway, what is the difference between "/dev/ubd0" and "/dev/ubd/0"? how
> to let my home-compiled uml kernel recognize one of them?

/dev/ubd0 is a regular /dev entry, and /dev/ubd/0 is from devfs. To get
rid of the initial error, pass 'devfs=nomount' to your kernel at boot
time. Note that you've configured your kernel to have Devfs mount at
boot time, rather than having it mount when devfsd is started -
Generally, this is a bad thing.

As for the terminals respawning, it could be that UML is trying to run
xterm, but can't - By the look of it, for all consoles (other than 0),
it's going to try to run xterm, so you'll want to see if it can.
Usually, that error is caused by getty not being able to open the
appropriate /dev entry, so getty just bails out, but without more info,
it's rather difficult to figure it out clearly.

David.
--
David Coulson                                  http://davidcoulson.net/
d@vidcoulson.com                       http://journal.davidcoulson.net/