List:       unison-users
Subject:    Re: [unison-users] Windows System vs. Filesystem
From:       "Adrian Klaver adrian.klaver () aklaver ! com [unison-users]" <unison-users-noreply () y
Date:       2014-10-07 17:46:27

On 10/07/2014 07:46 AM, Brian services@increa.com [unison-users] wrote:
> Adrian,
>
> Oops.  Typo.  What you said is what I meant to say.  Below I typed "fastcheck \
> -false" when I should have typed "fastcheck -true"
> I usually run with fastcheck = auto, and so Unison will full scan "when running on \
> a Windows system".  My observation was that "on a Windows system" is different than \
> "when synchronizing a Windows filesystem mount".  The manual is written from a \
> mindset of synching over a network and this doesn't exactly map to the situation of \
> synchronizing a local USB drive, where "Windows system" <> "Windows filesystem \
> mount".  Unison also seems to slow down when synchronizing a Windows filesystem \
> mount when running on a NON-windows system.
> It seems the manual should state that full scan is done whenever Unison is run on a \
> Windows system OR is synchronizing a Windows filesystem mount.

What the manual says is:

"If your replicas are large and at least one of them is on a Windows
system.."

It might be semantics, but I would consider FAT32 a Windows system. In
the end what Unison is dealing with is the filesystem and that is what
counts. You can see this noted here:

Changes since 2.32:

"Fastcheck is now the default under Windows. People mostly use NTFS
nowadays and the Unicode API provides an equivalent to inode numbers for
this filesystem."

USB drives are not speedy and one of the uses of fastcheck=true is to
deal with that.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com