List:       unison-users
Subject:    Re: [unison-users] Max users of a filesystem
From:       "Dave Warren" <maillist () devilsplayground ! net>
Date:       2004-04-14 7:43:10

I can't speak to the number of users (I don't see that as being especially
important as long as only one synchronizes at a time), but in my
experience running Unison in socket mode, the initial synch would probably
not be fun, but beyond that, it will probably handle it fairly well.

I just finished a fairly significant mail server migration, 10GB of mail
data, approximately 2GB of new mail each day, and about the same being
deleted. Due to bandwidth restrictions on the old server (plus the fact
that I can't saturate it, I was still serving customers) the whole thing
took 4 days (Resulting in almost 18GB worth of data being transferred, due
to all the new mail coming in)

Basically I just ran Unison in a loop with force pointing to the old root
(The theory being that each time less data would be moved, meaning that
the less new mail would arrive, meaning that the following pass would be
even shorter) -- Once the loops were short enough I shut down the inbound
queues (so that only deletes could occur), turned off the "force" option,
and let clients migrate.

Although the TTL was 15 minutes, several mail clients cache the IP up to a
day, so I had customers talking to the old mail server and the new mail
server with unison busy keeping the old one up to date (The new server
handled all inbound mail, the old server spooled everything to the new
server's MX rather then delivering it into local mailboxes to avoid conflicts)

Long story short, Unison handled it extremely well, everything except my
spam archive (Which has some 40,000 messages) -- Unison just disappeared
during the reconciling changes phase.

Mail is stored one message per file (RFC822 format), along with a couple
DBs in each directory to record flags, message counters and other client
configuration.