List:       uclinux-dev
Subject:    Re: [uClinux-dev] Re: Latest release of the m68k-elf-tools
From:       David McCullough <davidm () snapgear ! com>
Date:       2001-10-29 22:45:19

Ilguiz,

Go to the ports/coldfire section on uclinux.org and get the latest
experimental release:

	uClinux-distribution-20010622.tar.gz

It has all the user apps,  libc and kernels ready to go on the coldfire
platform.  It also has an older 2.4 kernel that you can remove
and replace with one from CVS,  to build it just run:

	make menuconfig  (or make xconfig/make config)
		choose your platform
		choose your kernel
	make dep
	make

See below for other comments.

Jivin Ilguiz Latypov lays it down ...

> Hello David,
>
> I installed the tools in my home directory and wrote a short script to
> declare proper environment variables including CC, CFLAGS and MAKE.
>
> I wonder if it is possible to compile uClinux, uClibc and userland from
> uclinux.org's CVS repository for the Motorola Coldfire 5307 processor.  I
> was encouraged to try this after finding references to the processor in
> uClinux-2.4.x/arch/m68knommu/platform/5307.

the 'user' apps on cvs.uClinux.org are not very reliable (IMHO).  Use the
ones from the coldfire distro above.

> The other file, uClibc/libc/sysdeps/linux/m68k/README.m68k, says that the
> library's port
> 	"Only developed/tested with m68k-pic-coff-gcc 2.7.2.3-pic-060999,
> 	from Lineo."

This is not true,  most people are using the elf tools these days.

> >From this I concluded that I have to compile kernel, library and
> applications in position-independent mode.  Does this require adding the
> "-msep-data" option to the gcc command line?

The kernel NEVER uses the -msep-data option.  That is for applications
only.

> Perhaps, I made too many assumptions without knowing the exact meaning of
> the options and pecularities of the compiler.
>
> Is it necessary to compile the kernel in PIC mode?  If yes, how can the

No.

> errors similar to the above be avoided?

Cheers,
Davidm