List:       ubuntu-users
Subject:    Installation problems
From:       cgrigs () earthlink ! net (Carroll Grigsby)
Date:       2006-02-05 16:41:58

AirCooled wrote:
> Hello, I'm a brand-new wannabe user of Linux. I'm a "wannabe" becuase
> I cannot get the OS to install. I've tried the default installation(I
> burned my CD image from a mirror), and it stops responding at the
> "configuring network usingDHCP", I've used the expert installation
> and just jump right past that, in the parttion portion it stops
> responding when it starts writing the file structure. I even left it
> on all night, and in the morning it was 0% complete. Can somebody
> help me? Or am I forever destined to be an indentured servant to
> Windows XP. If only I had known how glitchy, slow and "UN-user"
> friendly XP was, I would have continued with my 98SE. Someone please
> help me! There seems to be no documentation regarding these problems,
> other than the "Ctrl+C", and it has no effect.
>
> Regards,
>
> AirCooled

AirCooled:
Let's narrow it down a bit. First off, have you been here?:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Installation

Next: What sort of hardware do you have? (CPU, motherboard,
laptop/desktop, RAM, hard drives, partitioning scheme, network
connection, etc...)

Finally: What have you done to prepare your system for Ubuntu?

-- cmg