List:       ubuntu-users
Subject:    Firewall
From:       ewan () macmahon ! me ! uk (Ewan Mac Mahon)
Date:       2005-11-04 2:06:13

On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 11:52:43PM +0000, Tristan Wibberley wrote:
> Does anybody have a recommendation on a firewall in ubuntu (main,

I keep seeing this question on the list, but it's still not making much
sense to me.  What exactly is it you think you need a firewall for?

Individual machine firewalls make sense on Windows because it runs a
load of servers by default and ingress firewalling is the simplest way
to cut them off from the net; also, Windows is suceptible to a lot of
malware (in the broadest sense) and egress firewalling is useful to cut
that off. Linux in general is not greatly plagued by malware and Ubuntu
in particular runs no servers by default - what is it that you're trying
to firewall?

Ewan