List:       ubuntu-users
Subject:    XFree86 vs. XOrg
From:       daniel.stone () canonical ! com (Daniel Stone)
Date:       2004-10-16 4:12:55

On Sat, Oct 16, 2004 at 12:47:48PM +0900, Jan Mor?n wrote:
> IDKWITA (I Don't Know What I'm Talking About), but I am a little
> surprised that you've determined that it was less work to backport a hue
> amount of fixes to 4.3 was less effort than working to stabilize X.org
> (especially considering that it has gotten fairly wide testing in other
> distros already).
>
> Out of curiosity, what factors did determine this?

Debian was already using XFree86, with a large number of these changes.
X.Org is a structural change that impacts other packages, whereas adding
more patches to XFree86 can be done without impacting the world around
it.

--
Daniel Stone                                        <daniel.stone at canonical.com>