List:       ubuntu-users
Subject:    VMWare - Does Anyone have installed it?
From:       andyzib () gmail ! com (Andrew Zbikowski)
Date:       2004-10-15 19:52:28

I'm assuming that since you're running VMWare you have some knowledge
of the command line. If not, bad bad me for making asumptions.
Anyway...

uname -a (will tell you your kernel version if you've forgotten)
apt-get install kernel-package kernel-headers-KERNELVERSION

Replace KERNELVERSION with the version you got from the uname command.

If you get an error about gcc version mismatch when you run
vmware-config.pl, note the version it's looking for, ctrl+c to exit
the script, type `exprot CC=/usr/bin/gcc-3.X` Obviously, replace the X
with whatever subversion your kernel was complied with. Now run
vmware-config.pl again. Now you should have everything you need.

Also follow flubie's link...looks like you need ot make some other
modifications or you'll have to reconfigure vmware every time the
system boots.

--
Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://andy.zibnet.us
 A password is like your underwear; Change it