List:       ubuntu-users
Subject:    Java
From:       rantman_2000 () yahoo ! com (James McCormick)
Date:       2004-10-06 18:50:21

Ted wrote:
> I have added deb
> ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/linux/devel/lang/java/blackdown.org/debian
> unstabl
> e main non-free
> to get java and it has installed ok..The link sems ok to mozilla but
> firefox does not run java...Anyone got this running and if so any tips ??

First, if you're using the .deb package, I'd recommend you install the
package straight from Mozilla.  It works better.

Next, open a root terminal and issue the following commands:

# cd /usr/bin/
# rm firefox
# ln -s /home/(username)/firefox-installer/firefox firefox

That'll get you a fully functional version of Firefox without having to
change your settings.

Next, you need to install the plugins.  They should be somewhere in
/usr/lib, Mine are in /usr/lib/j2re1.4sun/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/, the
file is libjavaplugin_oji.so, your j2re1.4sun directory is probably
different, but the rest of it will be the same...I rolled my own package.

So, the following commands will help you:

$ cd /home/username/firefox-installer/plugins
$ ln -s /usr/lib/(java)/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so
libjavaplugin_oji

Hope that helps.