List:       ubuntu-motu
Subject:    [easy task] straw browser_cmd key
From:       adri2000 () ubuntu ! com (Adrien Cunin)
Date:       2007-04-04 12:37:52

Hi,
CCing ubuntu-motu, I think it's a better place for this kind of
questions.

Le mercredi 04 avril 2007 ? 02:33 +0200, Dries Desmet a ?crit :
> Hi Sebastien,
>
> Eager to understand, I've got some questions.
>
> Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> > Hi again,
> >
> > An easy fix if somebody from the MOTU team wants to do a straw update:
> > https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/straw/+bug/38980
> >
> > "In gconf, the default for /apps/straw/general/browser_cmd is "" this
> > makes straw fail to launch my browser. The default should just be an
> > empty string, this would make straw launch the default browser by
> > default"
> >
> > That has been fixed to the SVN:
> > http://svn.gnome.org/viewcvs/straw/trunk/data/straw.schemas?r1=190&r2=248
> >
> So the fix was committed in the straw projects's svn. Does the fact that
> the bug was reported in ubuntu and the availability of a patch speak for
> a new ubuntu package built?

Yes.

> In presuming yes:
> Is it better to download the latest svn revision and package that up or
> should the ubuntu package be patched with the upstream patch?

Better to only apply the patch, so that we don't add new bugs to the
package with the svn snapshot.

> Say we don't wait for a new upstream release and just download the
> current svn state, what should the package be named like?

If you package an svn snapshot, version should be something like x.y.z
+svnXXXX or x.y.z~svnXXXX (XXXX being the upstream svn revision).
If you backport a patch, don't change the upstream version number, just
increment the Ubuntu revision: Xubuntu1 -> Xubuntu2, X -> Xubuntu1 (X
being the Debian revision).

> Why does the latest published feisty package have this weird name:
> 0.26.dsfg.1-2.1ubuntu1? (what does dsfg stand for?)

dfsg stands for Debian Free Software Guidelines. In a package version,
it means that the original upstream tarball contained file(s) considered
not free by Debian, which have been removed by the maintainer.
2.1 is the Debian revision (.1 being an NMU (Non-Maintainer Upload)).
ubuntu1 means that we have modified this package (first Ubuntu revision
of 0.26.dsfg.1-2.1).

> On the launchpad source package page [1], the tab on the left "Builds of
> straw..." I can only see an i368 build. Is it not available for the
> other architectures?

straw is written in python, and thus is arch-independent. That's why
"Architecture:" in debian/control is "all" and why the package is built
on only one architecture. It will work everywhere.

--
Adrien Cunin aka Adri2000