List:       ubuntu-devel
Subject:    Desktop Memory Usage
From:       evandrofg () ig ! com ! br (Evandro Fernandes Giovanini)
Date:       2006-09-14 2:18:26

Em Qua, 2006-09-13 ?s 19:04 -0400, Saad Shakhshir escreveu:
> I came across an interesting article today detailing a study of memory
> usage across various desktop environments.  The OP used Exmap and free
> (just as a reference although those numbers aren't too useful).  In
> short the conclusion is that Gnome consumes the most memory by far,
> followed by KDE, followed by XFCE, and WMaker uses the least.
>
> I believe there may be some useful information and statistics here as
> we move forward on developing, testing, and optimizing Ubuntu.
>
> http://ktown.kde.org/~seli/memory/
>
> -SS-

That's interesting, but using the Ubuntu packages I get very different
numbers from the article. GNOME and KDE use roughly the same amount of
memory on my system.

Some Ubuntu patches for GNOME are probably helping, for example panel
applets are in-proc (merged upstream for 2.16).

The article provides information that may be useful to the KDE, GNOME
and Xfce developers. I don't think there's much Ubuntu can do with it.

Cheers,
Evandro