List:       twig-devel
Subject:    Re: [twig-devel] MTA-Deamon
From:       Alan Knowles <alan_k () hklc ! com>
Date:       2000-09-15 1:27:56

Oliver GXnther <liq@gg-net.de> said:

> Hi all.
>
> I have a question, that dosen't really effect twig,
> but may be interesting for the mebers of the list.
>
> Is there a good MTA that works with an sql-database.
>
> At the moment I use eXim. It's ok, but the number of users
> is growing.
>
> I always have to edit the alias file to give every new user
> an alias other than his or her username.

There are a few things you can do,
  you can embed simplified perl into exim (if it is compiled into the binary)
- this can do some automatic name translation if required.

With exim there is an interesting bit in the FAQ on high load servers, where
the basic concept is to queue _all_ incomming local mail , and then running a
cron every 5 mins, checking how many exim processes are going, and top it up
with "exim -q" ..

I think that you can use the database as an alias list (mysql only). it's in
exims spec file somewhere..

other than that, you could write your own delivery script....

hope that helps (or gives some ideas)

regards

alan

--