List:       tru64-unix-managers
Subject:    SUMMARY: 1280x1024 DU 4.0 + CDE
From:       Pete Davis <pete () eagle ! deardorff ! com>
Date:       1996-12-28 21:48:27

Original Post--

> I recently purchased a Dec Alpha 21064A-275mhz clone with a Stealth 64 2mb
> video card.  I have been very happy with the system with the exception of
> my inability to figure out how to change the resolution to something higher
> than 1024x768 using Digital Unix 4.0 and CDE.

> Does anybody know if this possible?  If so, how one does this?

> Also, does DU 4.0 support the ability to virtual consoles similiar to Linux?
> (without the obvious solution of using screen or something).  If so, does
> anybody know how?

I received responses from:
From: davis@decatl.alf.dec.com

        Use the system file /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers file to modify the screen
resolution and vertical refresh by appending the switch "-screen" and "-vsync"
with a value to the X server startup line.

                  -screen 640        -vsync 60
                  -screen 800        -vsync 60
                  -screen 1024       -vsync 70  #Default/Recommended setting.
                  -screen 1280       -vsync 72  #May cause display flicker
                                                #and tearing.

Example:       :0 local /usr/bin/X11/X -nice -2 -screen 1024 -vsync 70

From: "Robert L. McMillin" <rlm@syseca-us.com>

From: Thomas Leitner <tom@finwds01.tu-graz.ac.at>

Sure. Changed /usr/dt/config/Xservers to contain -screen 1280. Likewise
you can change the vertical sync rate to something higher than the default
with -vsync 76 for example. I recommend not to change the original
file in /usr/dt/config, though, as it will be overwritten on the next
software upgrade. It's better to copy the file to /etc/dt/config and
modify it there.

==

Nobody had heard anything about virtual type consoles for DU similiar to
Linux.

The solution to my problem was to copy /usr/dt/config/Xservers and Xconfig
into a new directory I created called /etc/dt/config

I then modified the /usr/bin/X11/X line to read

:0  Local local@console /usr/bin/X11/X -screen 1280 -vsync 74 :0

Thanks,
-Pete