List:       tru64-unix-managers
Subject:    chip/hardware upgrade needed DEC 3000-M300LX?
From:       "CHELA KUNASZ /JILA (303)492-7807" <CHELA () JILA ! COLORADO ! EDU>
Date:       1996-09-27 23:14:47

Recently we performed upgrades of our DEC 3000/400 alphas from
Digital UNIX 3.0 to 3.2C.  We needed to do an upgrade of the
firmware on and an upgrade of the SROM
(only socketed) chip on the motherboard from a chip which was
labelled DEC93 FX9347 309E7 to one which (in our case) was
labelled 333E7/9422..   Then we did our system upgrades and
everything went well.  We had earlier experience when we got
bad advice from someone at DEC who had said we "didn't need
to worry about the SROM upgrade" and we had had to replace the
motherboard after that...  Anyway our DEC 3000/400's are all
in good shape now.  We are only waiting a while to install 4.0
until some of our applications can catch up.

My question is, do we need to get any kind of hardware upgrade
for our single DEC 3000-M300LX host?  I have some memory of
reading something about DEC 3000 300's needed some hardware
upgrade, but can't find/remember the details and whether or
not what I saw applies to DEC 3000-M300LX machines?  I'd love
to hear from anyone who can answer this question...
Thanks for any info..

-Chela

Chela Kunasz                                Office:  (303) 492-7807
JILA Central UNIX Management                   Fax:  (303) 492-5235
JILA,University of Colorado, Box 440,  Boulder, CO       80309-0440
Email: Chela.Kunasz@jila.colorado.edu