List:       tru64-unix-managers
Subject:    SUMMARY: Problem with video card
From:       mclaughl () nssdc ! gsfc ! nasa ! gov
Date:       1996-06-29 19:52:02

 Once again the list comes through!!

> Question 1: We recently purchased an Alpha Server 1000A (nice box!)
> running DU 3.D. However, the video display looks a bit fuzzy. I checked
> the monitor on another Alpha and it's fine so video card seems to be
> the problem. The monitor is a DEC VRC 21 WA and the video card is
> a ZLXp-E3 PCI Graphics. I tried many settings on the card but the
> display is still fuzzy.

 Most people pointed to the cable.  That's what the problem was.  The box
 came with the wrong cable.  DEC is going to send us the correct cable.

>Quesion 2:  How can I tell the system to use the default video port and not the
>ZLXp-E3 PCI Graphics card?

You probably need to run the ECU utility to disable the onboard VGA video
controller and remove the VGA jumper on the main system board.  Refer to the
User's Guide for the exact location of the jumper (upper left hand corner).

* note - the VGA jumper on the main system board isn't refered to by the system
         until the VGA video controller is disabled using the ECU utility disk.
         At first I tried to remove the VGA jumper without using the EDU utility
         and it didn't change anything.  After using the EDU utility it worked.

Many Thanks to:

Denys Tremblay
Anthony D'Atri
Jon Eidson