List:       tru64-unix-managers
Subject:    Firmware
From:       Mike Grau <mikeg () wildcat ! kcc ! state ! ks ! us>
Date:       1996-06-29 19:46:40

Good Day...
I recently became responsible for a DEC 3000/800S. I know it was running
OSF/1 Ver.2.0 and DU 3.2C was installed, but the firmware has _never_ been
updated. Can I really do......

        1.  Install CD (labeled Alpha AXP system firmware ..) in CDROM

        2.  Boot the cdrom drive.

                >>>B -FL 0,80 DKA400

        3.  Now you should get a bootfile inquiry.

                [dec3000]m500_v5_1.exe

        4. At the "UPD->" prompt type:

                UPD->update

        5. When the "UPD->" prompt returns, type the following:

                UPD->verify system

        6. When the "UPD->" prompt returns, type:

                UPD->quit

        7. Power cycle the DEC3000 system

        8. Firmware is now upgraded.

REFERENCE: Alpha AXP Systems/Firmware Release Notes Overview

or am I about to get bit in the hiney and bring the whole shop here to
its knees? I have never done this before nor do I have any system manuals.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated & summarized. Thanks!

| Michael Grau                   |                                  |
| Kansas Corporation Commission  | Tel: (913) 271-3236              |
| 1500 SW Arrowhead RD           | Fax: (913) 271-3354              |
| Topeka, KS 66606-4027          |                                  |
|                                | email: mikeg@kcc.state.ks.us     |