List:       tru64-unix-managers
Subject:    Dump/Semmaphore Error
From:       mclaughl () nssdc ! gsfc ! nasa ! gov
Date:       1995-12-28 17:46:10

DEC Unix gurus,

 Recently I upgraded one of our 3000/600's from OSF/1 v3.0
 to DEC Unix v3.2C.  Everything went well except now the
 dump command wont work.  Here's the output:

dump: Date of this level 0 dump: Thu Dec 28 10:12:43 1995 EST
dump: Date of last level 0 dump: the start of the epoch
dump: Dumping /dev/rrz3a (/) to /dev/nrmt0h
dump: Mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
dump: Mapping (Pass II) [directories]
dump: cannot get semaphores
get_semaphore(): semget() for fifo_free_semid: No space left on device
dump: SIGTERM received - - Try rewriting
dump: Unexpected signal - - attempting to rewrite from last checkpoint
dump: Cannot remove semaphores
remove_semaphores(): semctl() for fifo_free_semid: Invalid argument
dump: Rewinding and unloaded tape
dump: Change Tape: Mount volume 1, tape # 0001
# <CNTR-C> here
dump: Interrupt received.
dump: NEEDS ATTENTION: Do you want to abort dump?: ("yes" or "no") yes
dump: cannot remove shared memory
remove_shared_memory(): shmctl(): Invalid argument
dump: SIGTERM received - - Try rewriting
dump: Unexpected signal - - cannot recover
dump: cannot remove shared memory
remove_shared_memory(): shmctl(): Invalid argument
dump: SIGTERM received - - Try rewriting
dump: Unexpected signal - - cannot recover

 The tape is writable and it works for other functions (i.e. restore).  The
 only kernal parameter I changed was semmsl (from 25 to 100) for the jukebox
 file allocation.  I'm not a SV-IPC guru, but it doesn't make sense that
 other processes don't get the same error.  Any help is greatly appreciated.
 I will, as always, post a summary.

Thanks in advance,
Steve Mc
mclaughl@nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov