List:       tru64-unix-managers
Subject:    Should I use the SVR4 environment?
From:       "Nigel Harwood" <nharwood () cnw06 ! coles ! com ! au>
Date:       1995-01-31 2:36:37

Dear Managers,

I am after an opinion from you all as to the wisdom of using the
SVR4 environment on our OSF/1 boxes.

We have a number of users and administrators who are currently very
familiar with SVR4 and no-one who is familiar with OSF/1.

It seemed like a good move to use the SVR4 environment.

I have some concerns however and am debating whether we should instead
bite the bullet and use vanilla OSF/1 instead, for example:

* will our support be more difficult both internally and through
  digital due to the interaction between OSF/1 and the SVR4 environment?

* will layered products sometimes break as they perhaps don't expect
  SVR4?

* will SVR4 always be supported immediately with new releases of OSF/1
  etc?

* should root be an SVR4 user, if not what real benefit do we get at
  the administration level?

Anyway you get the general idea of my concerns.

Your thoughts?

Regards
--
<<  Post: Coles Supermarkets, PO Box 480, Glen Iris 3146, Australia >>