List:       tru64-unix-managers
Subject:    Copying data from linux machine to a tape connected on a Tru64 machine
From:       Padiyath Sreekumaran <kumar.padiyath () psi ! ch>
Date:       2006-03-31 11:26:15

  Hello,
  I have got a lot of directories(each contains a lot of files) on a
Linux 64 bit machine.
  I want to copy these directories to a tape(DLT4)connected to a tru64
machine with OS 5.1A.
  I would like to use ssh to copy the files from Linux and also I want
to copy 1:1 to tape
   (not tar file). How can I copy to tape? I tried with tar command as
given below:

   %tar cvf kumar@machine1:/dev/tape/tape0_d1 kumar/
Permission denied.
tar: kumar@machine1\:/dev/tape/tape0_d1: Cannot open: Input/output error

     I can use /dev/tape/tape0_d1 command on Tru64 machine without
problems.

  can I use rsync command to write to tape?

   Thanks in advance,
     Kumar
Padiyath Sreekumar       |   Tel: +41.56.310.3643
Paul Scherrer Institut   |   email: kumar.padiyath@psi.ch
AIT                      |   Office: WHGA/U132
WHGA/U132                |   Fax: +41.56.310.3649
CH-5232 Villigen PSI     |
Switzerland              |