List:       tru64-unix-managers
Subject:    SUMMARY: disklabel rpm value
From:       Tru64 User <tru64user () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-09-28 17:44:28

I received to very descriptive replies, thanks to
Alan@nabeth and Jesper Nemholt. Thanks compaq for
monitoring this list. I have included them in entirety
below.
_Thanks

--- "Nemholt, Jesper Frank"
<JesperFrank.Nemholt@compaq.com> wrote:
> [...]

   From:
         alan@nabeth.cxo.dec.com | Block Address  |
Add to Address Book

        1.  One of:

                o  The label was initialized on a
version of Tru64
                   UNIX that didn't know how to get
the rotational
                   from the disk and thus defaulted
very disk to
                   3600 rpm.

                o  The operating system did know how
to get the data,
                   but the HSZ didn't know how to
present it.  So,
                   fell back on the trusty 3600 rpm.

                o  The HSZ did know how to present a
value, but didn't go
                   to the trouble of providing an
accurate value; it
                   lied.

                o  The HSZ did know how and tried to
present a reasonable
                   value, but had more than one value
to choose from
                   and took a guess.

        1a. The better question is "is the disklabel
rotational speed
            relevant"?

            With respect to the base system I/O
consumers, only if you're
            using UFS and only if you set rotdelay to
a non-zero value.
            It is a value in the disklabel; doesn't
mean anything actually
            uses it.  The host can't order the disks
to slow down to some
            arbitrary expected speed.  It isn't going
to waste code on
            making rotational latency and media data
rate appear to be
            coming from a 3600 rpm disk unless there
is some significant
            advantage to it (*).

            The only place that I know that cares is
the code built
            into UFS that allocates data to take into
account rotational
            delays between blocks or strings of
blocks.  When disks
            started doing their own caching, this
feature became pretty
            worthless.

            And, if you don't like 3600 rpm, you can
change it.

        2.  Rotational speed affects latency when
waiting for a sector
            to rotate past.  It also affects the media
data rate.  If
            an array is mixed devices, some may
respond to comparible
            commands at different times.  You're
working with small
            statistical differences here, so the
affect may not be
            measureable or significant to be
interesting.  However,
            anybody that does benchmarking for a
living that knows
            a test can be constructed to prove
anything you want.

                There are lies, damned lies and
statistics.

                                        (I forget who
said it, a
                                         British PM
from the 1800s,
                                         I think).

        3.  Haven't a clue.

        (*) Usually high security or audio-visual
applications that
            require constant I/O rates.

=====