List:       toasters
Subject:    Re: how data moves with dataontap command?
From:       Chris Thompson <cet1 () cus ! cam ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2004-10-18 10:27:18

Cem Iscen writes:

> Is there any way using dataontap command to move data from one qtree to
> another qtree?
> Ndmpcopy just copied data to new location , doesn't delete the original
> data.

Just use the Unix mv(1) command on an NFS client. Since 6.4, rename(2)
across qtree boundaries works in the common case of a non-directory
with link count 1. Provided your mv(1) doesn't have false "optimisations"
about how to do a recursive move, the operation will be mostly rename's
and comparatively little copy-and-then-delete-old.

See Tom Haynes' posting on 2003-04-01 [*] in the thread "converting a
directory to a qtree" in the toasters archives for more details.

[*] Yes, I know, but it truely wasn't a joke

Chris Thompson
Email: cet1@cam.ac.uk