List:       tkined
Subject:    Re: [tkined] time to kick out 3.0.0?
From:       "Brent Bice" <bbice () persistence ! com>
Date:       2003-01-14 2:22:04

> I think it's time to release the current CVS code as 3.0.0.
> 2.1.11 is 18 months old, and I belive there have been some
> bug fixes that should get out there (such the SNMP BER decoding
> vulnerabilities).  I've been using 3.0.0 for a long time now and
> have not seen any problems.  I would like to refer others to
> the 3.0.0 release, but the only way to get it is via CVS, which
> is problematic for some.

   Admittedly, it's been quite a while since I've looked at the CVS code,
so maybe this has already been fixed, but... It'd be nice this bug were
squashed before the next release...

   It cropped up in the CVS version and has been a bit of a pain in the
neck for me (I don't know tcl/tk or I'd dive in and try and find
it myself).  I found that the SNMP-Browser window is now VERY slow.
Every time I click on the next step along the path of an OID that it
takes around 5 seconds before the window redraws, and another 5 or 6
seconds on top of that before moving the mouse cursor across the next
window-full of selections causes them to change color to red -- a total
of 10 or 11 seconds before I can click on the next link. It makes
traversing the mib tree VEEEEEERY slow and painful. :-)

   Anyone else seeing this?  This is on a basically idle Sun Ultra 5
running tcltk8.3.3.  tkined 1.4.11 (scotty 2.1.11) didn't exhibit this
behavior. I'm only guessing, but perhaps every time I click on a link
the snmp-browser window is re-reading all of the MIB files again? It's
about the right length of time (it takes about 10 to 15 seconds for
the snmp-browser menu to appear after selecting it from Tools).

   If anyone can confirm having seen/fixed this I'll go update my
CVS view and try it again.  :-)  If memory serves, I reported it here
once or twice but never heard back from anyone.

Brent