List:       tini
Subject:    [TINI] RE: Canadian iDEN developers
From:       Michael Cortez <mcortez () fullcoll ! edu>
Date:       2001-08-29 15:36:08

>> I've been trying in vein to get an i85s or i55sr that
>> will work with the local service provider (Telus
>> Mobility)

My guess is it won't.  Not that is locked out, but can't.  The phone relies
on having an "iDEN Network" provider, and I believe Nextel is the only such
provider on the planet.  So if they are not available in Canada, then your
stuck.  (I could be wrong on this, very wrong, I dunno)

>> and also allow Java programs (even standalone) to be uploaded.

This is easier, you don't need service to be able to upload stand-alone
applications that do not access network resource.  All you need is JAL-Lite,
available from the Motorolla Developer site, and the data-cable.

>> Is there anyone in Canada who has been able to get
>> a phone that will work for this?

I'm not in Canada (So. CA, USA) -- but I'd be glad to help the best I can --
contact me off-list @ mcortez@fullcoll.edu if you need more help with
getting standalone applications onto the phone.

--
Mike