List:       textbook-l
Subject:    Re: [Textbook-l] re: questions
From:       Karl Wick <karlwick () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2004-12-13 21:36:35

John,

I dont know of anywhere that you could read up on the
higher level of organization needed for a wikibook than for
th WP, its an observation of mine that a book is organized
at a higher level whereas the Wikipedia encyclopedia is
able to be more organic and live without a higher,
systemized organization.

To write a wikibook, the organization does not have to be
fully outlined at first. Parts or modules can be written
one at a time and then incorporated into one volume.
Further editing can reveal what is missing and fill in the
gaps, as well as edit for consistancy of tone, etc.

The quality of the work depends on the effort and ability
of the people creating it. I believe that "normal" teachers
working together are more than capable of creating an
excellent work. And even if the work begins as mediocre, it
can be continually revised and improved by the best minds
who are willing to contribute.

The level of moderation infrastructure is not extensive on
the site. If you want to create a book here with people you
have you will have control as well as responsibility for
things to turn out well. My experience shows that on the
Wikipedia there are not very many problems on finding
aggreement except in extreme cases, and even in those cases
things are not too difficult to resolve in an aggreeable
manner. One key is following tbe state guidelines; that
will help you reach aggreement more quickly.

Hope that helps sir!
Karl