List:       tellico-users
Subject:    Re: Tellico in Flatpak
From:       Robby Stephenson <robby () periapsis ! org>
Date:       2023-09-28 13:45:10

Thanks for the flatpak feedback.

On Wed, Sep 27, 2023 at 10:47 PM Cliff Bar <klfjoat@gmail.com> wrote:

> Somewhere I stumbled across the info that you're relatively new to
> packaging Tellico via Flatpak. I installed the Flatpak so I can use
> the latest version and I have some information on Tellico-as-Flatpak
> behavior that you might want to document somewhere.

Yeah, I don't actually use it and am not familiar with packaging options or
approaches, so the feedback is helpful.

> The xdg-desktop-portal file chooser rightly sandboxes file accesses.
> Tellico files that I save/open show (in the Tellico Recent list) that
> they're stored in /run/user/$UID/doc/<7 or 8 lowercase hex
> chars>/FILENAME
>
> This works great for self-contained Tellico files.
>
> But the file sandboxing means that if I set or change the Tellico
> Image Storage Options to "Store images in directory relative to data
> file", Flatpak's sandbox disallows the image writes and Tellico throws
> errors left and right. It might be helpful if you could detect that
> condition (running in Flatpak without an override like below) and fail
> gracefully.
>
> I resolved this by using a Flatpak override mechanism to "open up" the
> specific directory to Tellico.
>
>     sudo flatpak override org.kde.tellico
> --filesystem=/home/$USER/PATH/TO/DIRECTORY

At one point, I was trying to add --filesystem=host to the build,
https://github.com/flathub/org.kde.tellico/pull/12, but I'm not sure if
that would accomplish the same thing or not. Flathub said it wasn't
necessary.

> I hope this helps you and future users!

Definitely, thanks!

Robby