List:       tcpdump-workers
Subject:    Re: [tcpdump-workers] NSEC magic number in savefile.c
From:       Pierre KARAMPOURNIS <pkarampournis () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-05-21 20:01:52

Hi,

I agree that the modification I want to do is modifying the behaviour of
libpcap in a way that the compatibility can't be assured.

What I planned to do was creating a new compilation macro which will be
defined if the user wants it (e.g. ./configure --enable-nsec-timestamp) that
will modify the pcap_open_offline() function if the macro is defined in
order to support nanosecond timestamps ONLY.

Since I am not really familiar with the open source world I wanted to know
if such a modification could be allowed in the main branch of libpcap or as
a plugin.

Thank you

2009/5/21 Guy Harris <guy@alum.mit.edu>

> On May 14, 2009, at 11:58 AM, Pierre KARAMPOURNIS wrote:
>
>  Furthermore, if we try to use tools using libpcap to read nsec-pcap files,
>> it won't work
>>

> What should "work" mean?
>
> It can't mean "supply time stamps with nanosecond precision", as that would
> break source and binary compatibility.  There would have to be a different
> versions of pcap_open_offline() that causes nanosecond time stamps to be
> supplied.
> -
> This is the tcpdump-workers list.

Pierre KARAMPOURNIS