List:       taskjuggler-devel
Subject:    [taskjuggler-devel] Display of Tasks with subtasks
From:       vincenegri <vince.negri () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-11-07 11:58:44

Hi all,

I have a plan which has some tasks with subtasks: you know, the sort of thing like \
this:

task foo {
    task bar {
        effort 1d
        allocate fred
    }

    task baz {
        effort 2d
        allocate fred
    }
}

In the resulting Gantt chart, "foo" is shown as a rolled-up task, as it should be. \
What I noticed, though, was that if I specify a desired start date for "foo", then \
the rolled up task is always shown as starting on that date, even when none of the \
sub-tasks start till later. :?

I worked around this problem as follows: created a milestone at the start of the \
project, and instead of giving a start date for "foo", made it depend on the \
milestone. This results in the same scheduling, but the gantt chart now shows "foo" \
as starting on the date "bar" starts, which is the desired result. :)

However, what I noticed was that dependency lines were drawn from the starting \
milestone not only to "foo", but *also* to "bar" and "baz", which looked messy.

By a one-line addition to TjGanttChart.cpp, I tweaked the code so that dependency \
lines were only drawn between tasks with the same parent. That cleans up the display \
of rolled-up tasks a lot, but I'm aware that it might result in the wrong result if \
you have the unusual situation where a dependency exists between tasks at different \
levels.

It seems to me that in the case above, the right thing (tm) to do is for the \
milestone task to realise that "baz" and "bar" are only followers by virtue of "foo" \
being a follower, and therefore not to draw dependency lines to them. I was going to \
work on a patch to this effect, but wondered if you had any comments on the overall \
issue (including the handling of start date in the absence of dependencies.)