List:       tapestry-user
Subject:    Re: [T4] AJAX: reender whole page or just send back the markup of the div
From:       Kaspar Fischer <fischerk () inf ! ethz ! ch>
Date:       2008-01-18 14:01:36

On 18.01.2008, at 13:51, Pai911 wrote:

> Why do you open the link in new window?
>
> The scenario should be:
> 1. You click on a link
> 2. The link invoke a listener (Asynchrounously) and update some
> attribute of
> the Page class
> 3. Some part of the page is re-rendered asynchronously with the new
> data.

Sorry, I was not clear. I understand this scenario and tried your
code. It
works. Still, it seems that my whole page is rendered (and not just
the component).
At least, "rendered" in the sense that my

   void pageBeginRender(PageEvent event)

listeners is exectued for my page (whether output is written I don't
know).

I came up with opening the link in a new window because it seemed to
suggest
that tapestry indeed renders the full page. But of course, if there
is some
JavaScript magic behind it, it will ask a different URL from the server
when you click the link (instead of opening it in a new window, in which
case the full page is rendered).

> Did you try the code sample I wrote??

Yes. Again, sorry, for not confirming this right away.

> If you do, but the refresh of the whole page occures,
>  I think you may be using a certain old version of IE 6 cause I've
> run into
> such situation.

No, it worked.

With your comments, I understand it this way:

a) When you click an AJAX link, JS asks the server to only render the
compontent(s)
that need update (updateComponents). This will run through the whole
page
building process and, in particular, trigger my pageBeginRender(),
etc. listeners.
But output is (?) only written for the components that need updating.

b) However, when you open the AJAX link in a new window (that is,
access the
link without the onClick-JS), a different request is sent to the
server: it
just renders the full page.

More or less correct?

Kaspar