List:       taglibs-user
Subject:    Re: String taglib release
From:       Henri Yandell <bayard () generationjava ! com>
Date:       2002-08-26 3:40:38

On Sun, 25 Aug 2002, Tim Kettering wrote:

> Captialization related tags:
>
> Captialize, uncapitalize, upperCase, lowerCase, swapCase, capitalizeAllWords
>
> - those could be consolidated in a single tag, such as
>
> <str:caps
> method="captialize|uncaptialize|uppercase|lowercase|swapcase|capitalizeWords
> ">

I was thinking:

<str:case type="lower|upper|swap" target="firstletter|all|words">

It would involve a few extra functionalities, as there are 9 operations in
the case tag and only 6 in the caps/current tags. As a general rule, I'd
like to avoid having anything in which we have an attribute of 'method' or
'operation' or 'function', that's just hiding lots of tags in one :)

> Phonetic tags:
>
> Soundex and Metaphone -
>
> I envision some sort of more general utility that they could fall under,
> some sort of translation tag, like
>
> <str:translate method="soundex|metaphone">

Agreed. These two obviously go together, but your translate idea would be
its own taglib I feel. It's a big project, though a nice one :) Possibly
it could be:  <str:soundex algorithm="soundex|metaphone"> though that
hides the metaphone part of it.

> Padding tags:
>
> Hen already covered that earlier.  I'd also suggest adding "both" as an
> option if someone wanted to pad both ends of the string.

both = the current CenterTag, but yeah.

> Strip tags, something like -
>
> <str:strip location="start|end|both" char="x">

trim might also fit in here. Or might be throwaway.

> Left, right, mid tags:
>
> <str:get length="3" location="start|end|both">

Yep.

> That also brings me to another point, we should pick a standard way to
> reference to the "start" and "end" of a string.  In some tags, its referred
> as "right" and "left", on some other tag, its "start" and "end", and make it
> consistent through all the tags.

Sounds good.

Apologies to people on the User list getting what could be considered
development-speak :) I'll move it off onto private mailing, but if anyone
else has opinions/interest let me know.

Hen