List:       systalk
Subject:    Athlon migration problems
From:       Jack Wilkinson jackw () jounce ! net
Date:       1999-09-27 22:28:22

Hey everyone,

my Cyrix 6x86 PR-200MX processor is slowly coming to a halt (the problems
are becoming endless in addition to its incompatibilities), so I need to
upgrade.

I'd really like to get an AMD Athlon 500, but this is causing problems for
me.

1.  I have 72-pin RAM, no getting around that I suppose
2.  I have 3 ISA cards in my box, a SB AWE32, a SCSI card for my scanner,
and my modem.  The motherboards with Slot A architecture that I've found
have only one ISA slot.
3.  My case is AT, no getting around that either it seems.

Is this kind of forcing me to use a Winmodem or PCI sound card?  My linux
server in my basement has a PCI scsi interface with 4gb drive (same as this
system to be upgraded), but I can't think of a way to effectively migrate
both systems to opposite hard drives.

For the record, I'll just shout out the rest of my hardware, just in case
anyone has extra insight:

IDE 4x/4x/16x CD-RW (Mitsumi)
IDE 32X CD-ROM (LG electronics)
4.2GB ATA hard drive (seagate)
ATAPI internal ZIP (NEC)
3.5" floppy
NE2000 PCI combo NIC (generic, maybe it's a LinkSys, but I don't think so)
Diamond Stealth 64 PCI
SB Awe32
UMAX generic SCSI card
14.4 modem (just for quicken, I use IP Masquerading for net)

Are there any cost-effective alternatives?  I need to get something soon...

Thanks in advance,
Jack