List:       systalk
Subject:    [Systalk] vmware
From:       William X. Walsh william () dso ! net
Date:       1999-09-27 20:55:06

On 27-Sep-99 Kris Deugau wrote:
> Sami Yousif wrote:
>> Quick question for someone using VMware for Linux... Can I start up win95
>> and run
>> Starcraft (network game)?... (Starcraft one of the very few reasons that I
>> start up
>> into win95 nowadays)
>
> If that's the only reason you've been keeping 95 around, you've been out
> of touch.  Starcraft is stable in X and works perfectly well with
> currently available versions of Wine.
>
> The only problem is IPX support (still generally difficult to use under
> Linux IIRC- ny roommates and I had trouble getting a Linux box to
> connect to anything in any way with IPX), and that can be solved by
> running one of several freeware/open-source battle.net servers on your
> Linux box.
>
> Check www.starcraft.org for more Starcraft-specific stuff.  I don't have
> any current URLs for battle.net servers, as I only had starhack.ml.org.
> ;)

As someone who agrees that one of the only redeeming features of Windows are
Blizzard games, I've tried to run it under X, and yes, it WILL run, but it does
not run well.  I'd give it about a 3 on a scale of 1 to 5, and still say that
the overall experience is currently much much better under windows.

So don't expect too much from wine and popular games yet.  Also, vmware doesn't
play nicely with Direct X games, so don't count on that being an option. The
good thing is that Starcraft runs quite nicely on a small P133 or so with
enough ram, so you can keep a small little machine around for it.

--
William X. Walsh - DSo Internet Services
Email: william@dso.net  Fax:(209) 671-7934

Join DNSPolicy.com's discussion list!