List:       sylpheed
Subject:    [sylpheed:24724] gettext and gmo files
From:       Nicolas Guilmain <nguilmain () noos ! fr>
Date:       2005-04-20 16:16:28

Hi,

I'm using Sylpheed since version 0.6.5 and it's the first time i write to the sylpheed mailing list.
I've always built sylpheed from source tarball.

My problem is relative to the 1.9.x branch and could interest other sylpheed users. The configure script \
didn't display any error nor the make or make install commands but Sylpheed once installed it didn"t \
display french interface (note that my LC_ALL was ok, thanks to Fred Ruffet ;-)).

On my way through a freeciv compilation I fell on a configure error : my gettext version (sorry, I didn't \
check what it was) wasn't able to build gmo files. An upgrade to the 0.14.1 version gave me the \
possiblity to, at last, use sylpheed in french (I checked the make install output and I found :

"Making install in po
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/docteurcosmos/SOURCES/sylpheed-1.9.9/po'
if test -r ".././mkinstalldirs"; then \
  .././mkinstalldirs /usr/share; \
else \
  /bin/sh ../mkinstalldirs /usr/share; \
fi
mkdir -p -- /usr/share/locale/bg/LC_MESSAGES
installing bg.gmo as /usr/share/locale/bg/LC_MESSAGES/sylpheed.mo. [...]")

Why the sylpheed configure script didn't warn me about this issue ?

Nicolas Guilmain
Orléans
France