List:       sylpheed
Subject:    [sylpheed:22566] Re: nhm
From:       David Ayers <fogey () mindspring ! com>
Date:       2004-03-15 22:12:30

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 11:04:57 -0600 (CST)
Bob Apthorpe <apthorpe+sylpheed@cynistar.net> wrote:

> Ugh. A challenge/response (C/R) system, a cure worse than the disease.
>
> There's a long and ugly thread that starts with a reasonable criticism
> of C/R:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2003/debian-user-200308/msg00338.html
>
> Ed Felten's criticism of C/R systems:
> http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/archives/000389.html
>
> Brad Templeton designed an early C/R system and has prepare a list of
> best practices for C/R systems and tries to address criticisms of C/R at
> http://www.templetons.com/brad/spam/challengeresponse.html and
> http://www.templetons.com/brad/spam/crgood.html
>
> If you insist on using a C/R system, make sure it avoids the most simple
> problems with C/R. Still, deploying C/R is a great way to alienate
> correspondents and (if you're not very careful) get booted off mailing
> lists.
>
> -- Bob

Hi Bob,

I'm fairly aware of the problems associated with C/R systems, but I may be in
the way of receiving a lot more unwanted education on the subject, if I'm not
careful. :(

Thanks for the links. I'll check them out.

I take your last caveat seriously. At first blush ASK seems to provide ways to
avoid the worst of the problems, and I sure don't want to alienate
correspondents. I probably do a pretty good job sometimes without any
programmatic help.

Thanks again for the heads up.

Dave

--