List:       sylpheed
Subject:    [sylpheed:21194] Any recommendations for a web-email service?
From:       William Trenker <wdtrenker () yahoo ! ca>
Date:       2003-07-30 10:52:03

Perhaps this is a bit off-topic, but I admire the email savy of those who
contribute to this list and I'm hoping you might have related experience
with my question.

Until now I've been using Yahoo for email so that I don't have to go
through the pain of changing email addresses when I change to a different
ISP (which, for me, has happened too many times).  I picked Yahoo because
they have been offering free POP3 access.  But now that seems to have
changed -- they want $20 a year for POP3 access.

I'm on a really tight budget and would prefer to have free POP3 access to
webmail (who wouldn't).  So my first inclination is to ask if anyone here
knows of another free webmail service that offers POP3 access.

My other option is to dig deep and cough up the $20 per year.  In that case
I'm wondering if Yahoo is really the way to go?  Are there other paid
webmail services out there that are solid, just specialize in email, have
POP3 support, and are in the $20 a year range?

Any recommendations / opinions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

(PS: As you can see below, I'm tinkering with Opera's new M2 email client.
Prior to that it was Sylpheed all the way; and I've continued to monitor
this list.  I like some of M2's concepts, especially how it automatically
organizes messages, but some of its awkwardness is becoming frustrating.
Looks like I'll be moving back to Sylpheed.)