List:       sylpheed
Subject:    [sylpheed:18326] Re: How to decode non-ascii mail body properly?
From:       Melvin Hadasht <melvin.hadasht () free ! fr>
Date:       2003-01-27 13:11:07

Hi Batara,

on Mon, 27 Jan 2003 21:49:50 +0900
Batara Kesuma <bkesuma@george24.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I received some mails that I can view perfectly on Sylpheed. But if I save
> them as text file, then use Emacs to view, they don't display properly.
> Here is the header of one of them:
>
> --
> ...[cut]...
> ...[cut]...
> ---
>
> It is in Japanese, but my Emacs doesn't have problem to view another
> Japanese text file. The mail body looks like this when viewed with Emacs:
>
> ---
>
> ------=_NextPart_000_0002_01C2C273.EC4A8710
>
> $B<:Ni$7$^$7$?!#Aw?.@h$NJ}$r4V0c$($F$7$^$C$?$N$G:FEYAw?.$7$^$9!#(B
>
> $B@5<R0w$K$7$F$b$i$($k$H$N;v$G$*OC$r;G$C$?$N$G$9$,(B
> $BFMA3$H8@$&;v$b$"$j4r$7$$H?LLJ9$-K:$l$F$7$^$C$?2U=j$,(B
> $B?t2U=j$"$k$N$G<ALd$N%a!<%kAw$i$;$FD:$-$^$9!#(B
>
> ...[cut]...
> ---
>
> What do Sylpheed do with this kind of mails, so it can display them
> properly? And how can I do that with Perl? Please help, and thanks a lot.

Save as... will save the complete mail in the original rfc822 format, so you
will see it with all its encoding.

If you have the attachment tab open, then you can select any part of the
message, including the first text part and save it in the decoded format, so
Emacs can read it correctly.

If the attachment tab is not open (no mime parts), then you can still use the
actions to view the decoded message part:
xemacs %p
or xemacs %p&
or gnuclient %p
or gnuclient %p&

%p creates a local temporary file containing the decoded selected message part
(or message body if no mime part exists). The file is erased when Sylpheed is
exited or restarted.

& is for running the command asynchronously if you want to continue interacting
with sylpheed without waiting the command to end.

You can assign a keyboard shortcut to that action for more enhanced
productivity/improved computing experience (tm)...

Cheers

--
Melvin Hadasht