List:       sylpheed
Subject:    [sylpheed:17450] Re: Is using both  nmh and sylpheed possible
From:       Sergey Vlasov <vsu () altlinux ! ru>
Date:       2002-11-30 16:28:09

On Sat, 30 Nov 2002 16:50:54 +0100
Paul van der Zwan <paulz@vanderzwan.org> wrote:

> I used nmh to manage my mail ( and exmh) but I do like the GUI sylpheed
> offers, but I run into some problems when using the both together.
> When I pack a folder using folder -pack sylpheed get completely confused
> about which message have been read and which haven't.

Currently this won't work. Sylpheed does not use the standard
..mh_sequences format to store the messages read/unread state - it uses
..sylpheed_mark files (which are binary, not text like .mh_sequences).
folder -pack changes the message numbers, so the data in .sylpheed_mark
is no longer right.

There is also a .sylpheed_cache file in each folder (this file greatly
speeds up opening of the folders, because reading the message files can
be avoided). However, the data in this file can be rebuilt from the real
message files (at least for normal mail folders), so it is not that
important.

Storing the message status in .mh_sequences for compatibility with the
standard MH tools has been suggested many times by many different
people, but no one has actually written the code yet.