List:       sylpheed
Subject:    [sylpheed:12051] Re: sylpheed violates RFC 2822 and 2046: please fix line wrapping.
From:       "DINH V. Hoa" <dinh.viet.hoa () free ! fr>
Date:       2002-03-30 16:40:18

On Sat, 30 Mar 2002 08:12:19 -0600
"Jamin W.Collins" <jcollins@asgardsrealm.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Mar 2002 15:18:14 +0900
> "Hiroyuki Yamamoto" <hiro-y@kcn.ne.jp> wrote:
> > Normally auto-wrapping on sending often can cause unexpected result, so
> > it's currently turned off by default (I'm using by-hand wrapping
> > anyway).
> >
> > But if it's better for majority to turn on it by default, I'll change it
> > in the next release.
>
> If there's a concern about the auto-wrapping making an undesirable change,
> how about doing a quick confirmation dialog if the message needs to be
> wrapped?  This way, the message is line wrapped per RFC, but the author
> also doesn't need to remember to Linewrap before sending?

As I remembered this is not an obligation of RFC 2822 to cut at 78
character (for text terminals). RFC advise you to do such things,
but the real limit is at 998 characters.

"
   There are two limits that this standard places on the number of
   characters in a line. Each line of characters MUST be no more than
   998 characters, and SHOULD be no more than 78 characters, excluding
   the CRLF.
"

Then, this is authorized and currently does not matter much,
let's wait wrapping on the fly because wrapping before sending by
default could change the format we chose to send the text.

--
DINH V. Hoa,
libEtPan! - a mail library - http://libetpan.sourceforge.net

"Ma tuxitude me beastifie" -- sunZ