List:       swiff-info
Subject:    [swiff-info] Re: Writing Sprites
From:       Craig Graham <c_graham>
Date:       1999-09-16 16:57:36

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, you wrote:
> Hey folks,
> I'm working on a flash writing component, and I've run into a stump and the
> spec is not clear (suprise, suprise).
>
> I am importing and exporting a swf movie with sprites.  To test my code, I
> basically just read in an swf and try to output the same thing from the
> fully parsed movie.
>
> Some sprites work fine, other's bomb. I'm pulling my hair out because when I
> printf on the tags (ala. swfparse.cpp) of the imported movie and then the
> one I generate, I'm outputting almost exactly the same thing as is coming in
> (in the same order).  One difference I see is that I am not outputting the
> "ratio" Place flag when tagPlaceObject2 on the sprite element. Flash 3.0
> generated swf's do have this flag, but the doc's don't describe this. Can
> anyone gander at the meaning of "ratio". Otherwise has anyone else
> experienced any 'gotcha's' when outputting sprites?

The only use I've found for ratio is when PlaceObject2() is used in conjunction
with a morph shape, where it says how far along the morph you are between
shape1 and shape2.

> Also, the sprites that don't crash also don't loop. I see nothing in the
> documents about looping the sprites. ideas?

These are some of the things I was hoping the guys doing Macromedia's
flash SDK were going to answer in their souped up documentation - I get
the impression from them that they aren't though...

> Mark Z

Craig Graham.