List:       suse-xfree86
Subject:    Re: [suse-xfree86] SuSE 8.2: X seems to cause system freezes
From:       Egbert Eich <eich () suse ! de>
Date:       2003-07-31 13:30:08

There is a known issue about freezes on silicon motion.
I was never able to reproduce it, therefore I have no
fix for it. However there is a workaround:

Either turn off write combining for the framebuffer by putting

Option "NoMTRR"

into the device section of the XF86Config. Or reduce the size
of the video RAM used by the chip by Putting:

VideoRam <videoRamSize - 10KB>

(where you have to replace <videoRamSize - 10KB> with an actual
number in kB).

Unless there is another problem I don't know about, yet, this
should help.

--
Egbert Eich                 XFree86 Core Team Member       SuSE Linux AG
                            eich@xfree86.org               eich@suse.de