List:       suse-programming-e
Subject:    Re: [suse-programming-e] MIT Scheme on SuSE 10
From:       "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons () globalsymmetry ! com>
Date:       2005-12-13 22:08:36

On Tuesday 13 December 2005 16:19, Anders Johansson wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 December 2005 22:09, Steven T. Hatton wrote:
> > What do I need in order to work with MIT Scheme on SuSE 10?  I can't
> > figure out how to get a chicken nor an egg from the savana site.  Theire
> > so-called binary distribution does not reflect the documentation that
> > comes with it. In particular there is no bin directory which is where
> > they claim I will find the executables.  If I understand correctly, I
> > need that in order to build any CVS executable of Scheme.
>
> guile is a scheme implementation similar to MIT/GNU scheme, which is
> included in 10.0 (there is no such thing as SuSE 10, there is SUSE LINUX
> 10.0 and there will be SLES 10, but SuSE 10 is a double fault)
>
> But if you want MIT scheme, the links on
> http://www.gnu.org/software/mit-scheme/ work, and the tgz they have for
> download there contain binaries.

The documentation contained in the tarballs does not reflect the content of
the tarballs.  Specifically, there are not bin directories in neither of
7.7.1 nor 7.7.90.  Guile seems to be working for now.  Common Lisp was not
conforming to the textbook I'm reading.  The book, by MIT authors, is using
scheme.  I had forgotten about Guile until after I sent the original post.

Steven