List:       suse-oracle
Subject:    RE: [suse-oracle] anyone have oracle 8.0.5 for linux??
From:       "Marquez, Chris" <MarquezC () STARS-SMI ! com>
Date:       2002-12-31 15:09:19

I always tell other DBA's;
"The most valuable Oracle software is the OLD software."

Once Oracle moves (*markets*) a new version, it is impossible to find the
old versions.  I learned this lesion the hard way when I trashed a version
of Oracle7.3.4, which latter I really needed.

I may be able to help you out.  I have a CD copy of Oracle 8.0.4 for Linux.
The first Oracle version available for Linux.
I recently had the same problem as you and boy was I glad I saved the CD  (I
too did not want to us Windows versions.)

I ran this copy of Oracle un-patched on a dual P-II-500Mhz box (SuSE-7.2)
for a 7 day 20 users inventory app training session.  Worked great.

I will tell you that it is a little tricky to install (as is all
Oracle/Linux installs).

email mail me directly and maybe we can work something out if you don't
already have it.  If you do I could at least share my installation notes.

Chris Marquez
Oracle DBA