List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    [opensuse-edu] Status update April 2008
From:       Lars Vogdt <lrupp () suse ! de>
Date:       2008-04-22 11:40:37

Hi all

Parallel to the openSUSE-Education 1.0 for openSUSE 10.3 release, we are
currently working on other projects. Here is the overview:

The URL*http://education.opensuse.org/ has been applied for us.
http://en.opensuse.org/Education will be reachable at the above URL in a
few days.

* http://www.opensuse-education.org/ will get a "Face lift" in a few
weeks. The new Design will look more like the official openSUSE-Layout.
Help is needed! Any webdesigner (we need somebody knowing YaML) around?

* As far as the RC2 is concerned, there are only a few Bugs left to take
care of. Hopefully they will get fixed soon. Everybody who has some
wishes left, please fill them in our bugzilla at
http://bugs.opensuse-education.org/

At the moment the automatic package selection during first installation
is deactivated. This is the result of a newer package "bc" on the
Education media. A bug in the 10.3 installer doesn't find the right
solution and so no pattern (and no package) is preselected. The online
repository is already fixed - in the final media all packets will be
selected automatically, too. (see bug #0000029)

* The patterns will see some rework prior to release but they already
demonstrate functionality in their current form.

* Lars has talks with Wolf-Dieter Zimmermann about his "Seminarix"
to provide Seminarix on openSUSE.

* There are new packets in the Buildservice Repository:
 + Score Reading Trainer
 + ksociograma
 + gbrainy
 As a result of a short talk in IRC (thanks to kkirill!), packagers
adding new packages to the obs repository should also start a new wiki
page. We've created a template here:
http://en.opensuse.org/Education/Wiki#Template_for_Application_descriptions

* The work on the Wiki is moving ahead as well. We have updated
http://en.opensuse.org/Education/Applications/Desktop. It now contains
all currently available applications. Additionally we want to use
"Categories" to assign applications to a group automatically. Feel free
to make suggestions!
Currently you can find all applications with their descriptions in the
Category: Education Applications
=> http://en.opensuse.org/Category:Education_Applications
We can provide more than one Category for each application. So an
application can be in "Category:Education Applications" and also in
"Category:Music" and/or "Category:Artistic scope"...

Regards,
Lars